Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Walton Goggins, Scarlett Johansson to host, Bad Bunny, Arcade Fire as musical guests for final ‘SNL’ episodes

​As “Saturday Night Live” approaches the end of its landmark 50th season, NBC has unveiled the lineup for its final episodes.

The show announced that on May 10, Walton Goggins, known for his roles in “The White Lotus” and “The Righteous Gemstones,” will host “SNL” for the first time, with Arcade Fire serving as the musical guest, marking their sixth appearance on the show.

The season finale on May 17 will feature Scarlett Johansson as host, making her sixth appearance; she will be joined by Bad Bunny, returning as musical guest for the third time.

The show’s 50th season was filled with notable hosts and performers, including Jean Smart, Ariana Grande, Michael Keaton, Dave Chappelle, Timothée Chalamet, Lady Gaga, and Jon Hamm, as well as musical guests like Elton John, Billie Eilish, and Lizzo.

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

Three killed, 5 wounded in shooting at Glendale, Arizona restaurant

Three people were killed and several others injured after a shooting at a restaurant in Glendale, Arizona. The incident occurred around 7:45 p.m. on Sunday, May 4 at El Camarón Gigante Mariscos & Steakhouse in Glendale. Citing information from the Glendale Police Department, ABC News stated that at least nine people were hurt during the incident.

More than one shooter may have been involved in the attack; but as of press time, no suspects have been taken into custody. An eyewitness who spoke to Phoenix-based NBC affiliate KPNX said the restaurant had been hosting a Cinco de Mayo celebration at the time of the shooting. The event was described as family-oriented, with attendees of all ages present when the gunfire erupted. The witness said he had just exited the venue when he heard more than 20 gunshots fired in rapid succession, followed by another volley of roughly 10 shots after a brief pause. His vehicle was struck by stray bullets during the incident.

Officer Moroni Mendez, speaking to Fox 10, said that “we can confirm that several people were shot. The number of victims is approaching nine. I can’t verify that exact figure, but it’s definitely more than three at this time.” Despite reports of multiple assailants, Officer Mendez emphasized that there was no ongoing threat to the community: “at this point, no arrests have been made. We do have a number of individuals detained, and we’re working to determine whether they’re suspects, victims, witnesses, or possibly connected in another way.” Mendez also noted that a conflict between “two rival groups” is one potential angle being explored: “we’re trying to piece together whether these individuals were acquaintances, relatives, allies, or adversaries.”

The Consulate of Mexico in Phoenix posted to social media early Monday that “Derived from the events that happened tonight in ‘El Camarón Gigante,’ in the city of Glendale,” any Mexican people who require “consular assistance or protection” in connection to the incident can contact their office.

Editorial credit: Thomas Trompeter / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

At least three dead, several missing after migrant boat capsizes near San Diego

Authorities have confirmed that at least three people have died and multiple others are missing after a boat carrying suspected migrants overturned off the coast near San Diego on Monday. Rescue operations are ongoing, with the U.S. Coast Guard, lifeguards, and sheriff’s deputies assisting in the search for other possible victims. Officials believe the vessel was part of a human smuggling attempt, though the exact number of passengers remains uncertain.

Per Fox News, the circumstances leading up to the incident are unclear. Coast Guard officials said they did not know where the 12-foot boat was coming from before it flipped. Coast Guard Petty Officer Chris Sappey said in a statement that “this appears to be a migrant smuggling operation — strictly human smuggling, no narcotics involved — coming from south of the border,” and also noted that at least two children were among those aboard the vessel.   In an official statement, the U.S. Coast Guard reported that nine individuals remain unaccounted for following the capsizing of the boat near Del Mar.

One person who had been on the overturned panga — a small, open boat with an outboard motor — told rescuers there were 18 people aboard. However, it is still unclear how many remain unaccounted for, or whether any individuals managed to swim safely to shore at Torrey Pines State Beach.

Encinitas Deputy Fire Chief Jorge Sanchez said that in addition to the three confirmed fatalities, four individuals were taken to nearby hospitals via ambulance for treatment: “we’re continuing a thorough search to ensure no one else is still out there in the water. At this time, we don’t have further updates on those missing or found.”

The San Diego County Sheriff’s Department is also involved in the response, assisting with the incident near the 200 block of Stratford Court.  They said its deputies are assisting the Coast Guard “with providing life-saving measures related to a maritime event on the beach near the 200 block of Stratford Court.”

Editorial credit: Chris Allan / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Ryan Reynolds, Rob McElhenney appear in ‘Welcome To Wrexham’ Season 4 Trailer

FX is previewing Season 4 of Welcome to Wrexham, which arrives May 15.  The docuseries follows Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds‘ historic Welsh community football club’s promotion as it enters a new and tough division, with a longline reading that the 8-episode series “will continue to follow McElhenney and Reynolds as they navigate running the 3rd oldest professional football club in the world.”

In the trailer for Season 5, the Red Dragons soccer club is said to be undergoing “a baptism of fire.” McElhenney says:”Over the last four years, it’s been this rollercoaster of magic.”

An official synopsis reads: “In 2020, McElhenney and Reynolds teamed up to purchase the 5th tier Red Dragons, hoping to turn the Club into an underdog story. The Club achieved back-to-back promotions to bring the Reds into the English Football League’s League One for the first time in 20 years. As they continue to rise in the pyramid, the stakes get higher with a new level of intensity, competition and costs, all while the Club continues to be plagued with injury and fans demand the signing of new talent. Dedicated staff and supporters celebrate the team’s climb toward the Premiership while bracing against the new-found challenges that come with each new tier up the EFL. Will Wrexham AFC rise to the challenge and do what no team has ever done before?”

Welcome to Wrexham Season 4 premieres May 15 at 9 pm on FX and streaming next day on Hulu; see the trailer: HERE.

Editorial credit: Featureflash Photo Agency / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Max’s ‘The Sex Lives of College Girls’ canceled after three seasons at Max

The Sex Lives of College Girls has been canceled, and will not be returning for a fourth season on MAX. The series, created by Mindy Kaling and Justin Noble, ran for three seasons.

Production company Warner Bros. Television is said to be exploring finding a new home for the series, with Deadline reporting that it remains unclear if the show will find a new home.

Noble wrote in an Instagram post: “Unfortunately, Max has decided not to order a fourth season. We are currently in discussions with some new potential homes for the show, and it’s nice that there is so much interest — but regardless of what happens, I’m proud of this show and the work that so many incredibly talented people put into it. No matter what happens, The Sex Lives of College Girls has three seasons that showcased incredible performances and told so many important stories while also managing to fill those stories with laughs.”

The final season starred Pauline Chalamet, Amrit Kaur, Alyah Chanelle Scott, Christopher Meyer, Ilia Isorelys Paulino, Renika Williams, Gracie Lawrence, Mia Rodgers. Renee Rapp had starred in the first two seasons, and appeared briefly in Season 3 before departing the show.

Editorial credit: DFree / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

At least 1 dead, 14 wounded after shooting at family party in Houston

One person is dead and 14 others injured when a house party in southeast Houston turned deadly early Sunday morning after gunfire erupted.

According to CBS Houston affiliate KHOU, Assistant Chief Patricia Cantu said that emergency calls began flooding in around 12:50 a.m., reporting gunshots at a residence in the area. Officers responding to the scene said they could still hear gunfire as they arrived. When they reached the location, police discovered several people with gunshot wounds outside the house.

Cantu stated that the incident started during a family gathering, when an individual who was not invited had been told to leave- and that person allegedly responded by opening fire. Others at the party reportedly drew their own weapons and returned fire. Cantu said there were multiple scenes officers were investigating, and many of those who were injured were scattered at various spots around the home where the party was happening.

Members of the Houston Fire Department provided medical aid to victims in the parking lot of a nearby restaurant. One fatality was confirmed, and several of the injured were listed in critical condition and undergoing surgery. Some individuals took themselves to hospitals for treatment, Cantu noted.

Houston Police Department spokesperson Jody Silva said that, nearly 12 hours after the shooting, no arrests had been made. Police detained multiple people but were not immediately certain if they had the shooting suspect in custody as the investigation continued Sunday morning, according to Cantu.

Editorial credit: Artistic Operations / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

2 people arrested in alleged bomb plot targeting Lady Gaga Rio concert

Two people have been arrested in connection with an alleged bomb attack plot at a free Lady Gaga concert in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The arrests were part of Operation Fake Monsters, a joint investigation led by the Brazilian Justice Ministry, Federal Police, and digital intelligence services. The operation aimed to preempt any threat ahead of the singer’s historic performance on Saturday night.

Police in Brazil said on Sunday that the suspects — one adult male detained in Rio Grande do Sul and a teenager arrested in Rio de Janeiro — were allegedly planning to use improvised explosives, including Molotov cocktails, to target the event. No explosives were found during the operation. Authorities stated the two suspects were part of an online group that promotes hate speech and attempts to recruit other teenagers while encouraging acts of violence. One of the suspects was also found in possession of child pornography, according to authorities.

Despite the threat, the concert proceeded without incident. On Sunday, a spokesperson for Lady Gaga said the pop star and her team “learned about this alleged threat via media reports this morning. Prior to and during the show, there were no known safety concerns, nor any communication from the police or authorities to Lady Gaga regarding any potential risks. Her team worked closely with law enforcement throughout the planning and execution of the concert and all parties were confident in the safety measures in place.”

Lady Gaga posted about the show Sunday on Instagram, but did not address the alleged bombing threat: “Nothing could prepare me for the feeling I had during last night’s show—the absolute pride and joy I felt singing for the people of Brazil. The sight of the crowd during my opening songs took my breath away. Your heart shines so bright, your culture is so vibrant and special, I hope you know how grateful I am to have shared this historical moment with you. An estimated 2.5 million people came to see me sing, the biggest crowd for any woman in history. I wish I could share this feeling with the whole world—I know I can’t, but I can say this—if you lose your way, you can find your way back if you believe in yourself and work hard. You can give yourself dignity by rehearsing your passion and your craft, pushing yourself to new heights— you can lift yourself up even if it takes some time. Thank you Rio for waiting for me to come back. Thank you little monsters all over the world. I love you. I will never forget this moment. Paws up little monsters. Obrigada. Love, Mother Monster.”  

The Rio event on Saturday was the biggest show of the pop star’s career that attracted more than 2 million fans to Copacabana Beach.

Editorial credit: Brian Friedman / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

2 people arrested in alleged bomb plot targeting Lady Gaga Rio concert

Two people have been arrested in connection with an alleged bomb attack plot at a free Lady Gaga concert in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The arrests were part of Operation Fake Monsters, a joint investigation led by the Brazilian Justice Ministry, Federal Police, and digital intelligence services. The operation aimed to preempt any threat ahead of the singer’s historic performance on Saturday night.

Police in Brazil said on Sunday that the suspects — one adult male detained in Rio Grande do Sul and a teenager arrested in Rio de Janeiro — were allegedly planning to use improvised explosives, including Molotov cocktails, to target the event. No explosives were found during the operation. Authorities stated the two suspects were part of an online group that promotes hate speech and attempts to recruit other teenagers while encouraging acts of violence. One of the suspects was also found in possession of child pornography, according to authorities.

Despite the threat, the concert proceeded without incident. On Sunday, a spokesperson for Lady Gaga said the pop star and her team “learned about this alleged threat via media reports this morning. Prior to and during the show, there were no known safety concerns, nor any communication from the police or authorities to Lady Gaga regarding any potential risks. Her team worked closely with law enforcement throughout the planning and execution of the concert and all parties were confident in the safety measures in place.”

Lady Gaga posted about the show Sunday on Instagram, but did not address the alleged bombing threat: “Nothing could prepare me for the feeling I had during last night’s show—the absolute pride and joy I felt singing for the people of Brazil. The sight of the crowd during my opening songs took my breath away. Your heart shines so bright, your culture is so vibrant and special, I hope you know how grateful I am to have shared this historical moment with you. An estimated 2.5 million people came to see me sing, the biggest crowd for any woman in history. I wish I could share this feeling with the whole world—I know I can’t, but I can say this—if you lose your way, you can find your way back if you believe in yourself and work hard. You can give yourself dignity by rehearsing your passion and your craft, pushing yourself to new heights— you can lift yourself up even if it takes some time. Thank you Rio for waiting for me to come back. Thank you little monsters all over the world. I love you. I will never forget this moment. Paws up little monsters. Obrigada. Love, Mother Monster.”  

The Rio event on Saturday was the biggest show of the pop star’s career that attracted more than 2 million fans to Copacabana Beach.

Editorial credit: Brian Friedman / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

The Weeknd drops video for ‘Drive’ featuring Jenna Ortega

The Weeknd has released the cinematic music video for the song “Drive,” directed by acclaimed filmmaker Trey Edward Shults. This video is part of his new album Hurry Up Tomorrow from the upcoming feature film of the same name, set to debut on May 16th.

The Weeknd (Abel Tesfaye) and Ortega both star in Hurry Up Tomorrow, which also features actor Barry Keoghan, and is described as a “musically driven psychological thriller.” The film features original music by The Weeknd and Daniel Lopatin, and is produced by Abel Tesfaye’s Manic Phase, alongside Reza Fahim, Kevin Turen, and Harrison Kreiss.

The Weeknd brings his trilogy of studio albums to a close with Hurry Up Tomorrow, following his previous projects After Hours (2020) and Dawn FM (2022).  He will also embark on a massive North American stadium tour, joined by Atlanta rapper Playboi Carti and special guest Mike Dean. The Weeknd: After Hours Til Dawn 2025 Tour will feature 43 dates, and includes songs from Hurry Up Tomorrow, After Hours, Dawn FM, and his entire catalog.  The Weeknd is partnering with Global Citizen and for every ticket sold, one dollar will be donated to help children in vulnerable communities worldwide. Fans can also earn free tickets by taking action to fight extreme poverty through Global Citizen’s initiatives.

See the video for Drive HERE.

Editorial credit: DFree / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

National Security Advisor Mike Waltz leaving post; Pres. Trump to nominate him for UN ambassador

National security advisor Mike Waltz will be leave his post in the Trump administration, which comes on the heels of controversy over the creation of a Signal messaging app group that inadvertently included The Atlantic Editor Jeffrey Goldberg, and was used to discuss U.S. military plans between high-level administration officials back in March. The group’s other members were Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Vice President JD Vance, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, CIA Director Scott Ratcliff, and Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard.

President Trump said Thursday he’s nominating Waltz to be the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations; in the interim, Secretary of State Marco Rubio will serve as national security adviser. Waltz will need to be confirmed by the Senate for the ambassador role. Mr. Trump wrote: “I am pleased to announce that I will be nominating Mike Waltz to be the next United States Ambassador to the United Nations. From his time in uniform on the battlefield, in Congress and, as my National Security Advisor, Mike Waltz has worked hard to put our Nation’s Interests first. I know he will do the same in his new role. In the interim, Secretary of State Marco Rubio will serve as National Security Advisor, while continuing his strong leadership at the State Department.”  Waltz said on X, “I’m deeply honored to continue my service to President Trump and our great nation.”

Waltz is the first major official to leave the White House since the beginning of President Donald Trump’s second term in January.  Deputy national security advisor Alex Wong is also expected to leave his job, according to sources. Wong served in the first Trump administration as deputy special representative for North Korea and also as deputy assistant secretary for East Asian and Pacific Affairs at the State Department.

Trump had recently defended Waltz, telling NBC News the day after details came to light in an article by The Atlantic’s Jeffrey Goldberg that Waltz “has learned a lesson and is a good man.” Trump was asked further about Waltz’s future by The Atlantic in an April 24 interview. He said Waltz was “fine” despite being “beat up” after accidentally adding Goldberg to the group chat.

Editorial credit: noamgalai / Shutterstock.com