Categories
News Daypop

Israeli PM Netanyahu to meet with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis during trip to Israel

On CBS News’ “Face the Nation” on Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he plans to meet with Florida Governor Ron DeSantis when the expected 2024 presidential candidate visits Israel this week. Netanyahu is a staunch ally of former President Donald Trump; DeSantis announced he is traveling abroad on a global trade mission in Israel, Japan, South Korea, Israel and the United Kingdom. DeSantis will meet with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida and other government officials in Japan, Prime Minister Han Duck-soo in South Korea and Foreign Minister of the United Kingdom, James Cleverly.

Asked by host Margaret Brennan whether he would meet with DeSantis, Netanyahu replied: “Of course, I’ll meet with everyone. Why not? I’ll meet with Republican governors and Democratic governors. I’m not avoiding the question. And actually, I’m, I’m rushing right into it. I’d meet with every American representative, governor, senator, members of Congress. And I think it’s- it’s my job. And I think it’s important for Israel’s bipartisan support in the United States. I make a point of it.”  DeSantis met with Netanyahu during a visit to Jerusalem in 2019, calling Florida “the most pro-Israel state in the nation.”

DeSantis’ visit to Israel coincides with protests over Netanyahu’s plans to tighten controls on the country’s Supreme Court. Netanyahu’s plans for judicial reform were paused last month after strikes and mass demonstrations. The proposals would give the government effective control over appointment of Supreme Court judges and allow parliament to overrule many decisions of the court. When asked why he would not withdraw the planned reforms, Netanyahu said there was a “broad consensus” to fix the Israeli judicial system: “I’ve actually said that I will not accept a blanket ability of the parliament to overcome judicial Supreme Court decisions, just as we don’t accept that the Supreme Court can abrogate any decision by the parliament or the government.”

Editorial credit: wideweb / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Lionel Richie, Katy Perry, Andrea Bocelli to perform at King Charles III’s coronation

Lionel Richie, Katy Perry, and Andrea Bocelli are among the performers set to appear at King Charles III’s coronation concert, taking place the day after his installment on the grounds of Windsor Castle on May 7. The BBC said in a statement: “The concert will celebrate a new chapter in the nation’s history, with themes of love, respect and optimism, celebrating the four nations, their communities and the Commonwealth.” Take That (sans Robbie Williams), Welsh bass-baritone Sir Bryn Terfel, Freya Ridings, and classical-soul composer-producer Alexis French will also be performing at the celebration, with additional names to be confirmed.

Perry and Richie have known King Charles for years, having served as ambassadors for his charities. Perry has been an ambassador of the British Asian Trust since 2020, a nonprofit co-founded by Charles to tackle poverty in South Asia. Perry said in a statement: “I am excited to be performing at the Coronation Concert, and helping to shine a further light on the British Asian Trust’s Children’s Protection Fund, whose work includes on-ground initiatives to fundraising, with the aim to find solutions to child trafficking.” Richie was appointed as the first global ambassador and first chairman of the Global Ambassador Group for the Prince’s Trust in 2019, which Charles founded the organization in 1976 to benefit disadvantaged youth. Said Richie: “To share the stage with the other performers at The Coronation Concert is a once-in-a-lifetime event and it will be an honor and a celebration.”

BBC chief content officer Charlotte Moore said in a statement: “We are bringing the nation together for this once in a generation occasion, broadcast exclusively across the BBC live from Windsor Castle. We have a world-class line-up of performers to look forward to for what promises to be a very special night of celebration and entertainment.”

https://people.com/royals/katy-perry-lionel-richie-king-charles-coronation-concert-lineup/

Editorial credit: Featureflash Photo Agency / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

SpaceX’s Starship rocket explodes midair after inaugural test flight lift-off

SpaceX’s Starship, the most powerful rocket ever built, took off from a launch pad on the coast of South Texas on Thursday at 9:28 a.m. ET, but exploded midair before stage separation. Thursday’s launch marked the vehicle’s historic first test flight.

The massive Super Heavy rocket booster lifted off and sent a massive boom across the coastal landscape as it soared out over the Gulf of Mexico. About two and a half minutes after takeoff, the Super Heavy rocket booster was scheduled to expend most of its fuel and separate from the Starship spacecraft, leaving the booster to be discarded in the ocean. The Starship was meant to use its own engines, blazing for more than six minutes, to propel itself to nearly orbital speeds.  According to SpaceX, the flight reached its highest point 24.2 miles (39 kilometers) above the ground and the explosion occurred about four minutes after liftoff.

Clearing the launch pad was a major milestone for Starship, and although it ended in an explosion, Thursday’s test met several of the company’s objectives for the vehicle. SpaceX tweeted, “With a test like this, success comes from what we learn, and today’s test will help us improve Starship’s reliability as SpaceX seeks to make life multi-planetary. As if the flight test was not exciting enough, Starship experienced a rapid unscheduled disassembly before stage separation” 

In a post-launch tweet, Elon Musk congratulated the team on “an exciting test launch” and said they “learned a lot for next test launch in a few months.”  In addition, NASA administrator Bill Nelson took to Twitter to share his congratulations on the flight test: Congrats to @SpaceX on Starship’s first integrated flight test! Every great achievement throughout history has demanded some level of calculated risk, because with great risk comes great reward. Looking forward to all that SpaceX learns, to the next flight test—and beyond.

SpaceX will need a new launch license from the FAA to make another attempt, but the company does not expect the process to be as laborious as securing the license for Thursday’s launch.

Editorial credit: YMZK-Photo / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

House Republicans pass transgender sports ban for schools

The Republican-controlled House of Representatives passed legislation on Thursday that effectively would ban transgender women and girls from competing in female school athletics.  The Protection of Women and Girls in Sports Act, which would bar federal funding for schools that allow transgender girls to play on women’s sports teams, passed the House by a 219-203 vote.

Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs or activities that receive funding from the federal government, and applies to schools and other educational institutions. According to the legislative text. the bill passed by the House, authored by Rep. Greg Steube, R-Fla., would amend Title IX to prohibit transgender women and girls from playing on sports teams consistent with their gender identity. It seeks to amend federal law to require that “sex shall be recognized based solely on a person’s reproductive biology and genetics at birth,” for the purpose of determining compliance with Title IX in athletics.  The text of the bill says it would a violation “for a recipient of federal financial assistance who operates, sponsors, or facilitates athletic programs or activities to permit a person whose sex is male to participate in an athletic program or activity that is designed for women or girls.”

The bill is unlikely to pass the Democratic-controlled Senate, however, and President Biden said Monday that he would veto the bill was it to reach his desk: “Politicians should not dictate a one-size-fits-all requirement that forces coaches to remove kids from their teams. At a time when transgender youth already face a nationwide mental health crisis, with half of transgender youth in a recent survey saying they have seriously considered suicide, a national law that further stigmatizes these children is completely unnecessary.”

Editorial credit: DCStockPhotography / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Charlie Sheen, Chuck Lorre to reunite on ‘How to Be a Bookie’ at HBO Max

Deadline reports that Charlie Sheen will reunite with Chuck Lorre on the HBO Max series How to Be a Bookie, which just started production in February.

How to Be a Bookie is a single-camera comedy starring Sebastian Maniscalco and will air on HBO Max (soon to be rebranded as Max). How to Be a Bookie, co-written by Lorre and Nick Bakay, follows a veteran bookie (Maniscalco), who “struggles to survive the impending legalization of sports gambling” in Los Angeles. Variety confirmed Sheen’s casting, sharing that he will have a ‘recurring role’ on the upcoming comedy from Lorre. Omar J. Dorsey, Andrea Anders, Vanessa Ferlito and Jorge Garcia also star in the series.

The casting news comes more than 10 years after the 57-year-old Sheen left the CBS series Two and a Half Men, co-created and executive produced by Lorre. Sheen was fired from the show in Season 8 amid a public meltdown and disparaging remarks about Lorre.

Editorial credit: Markus Wissmann / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

F. Murray Abraham apologizes after ‘Mythic Quest’ firing due to allegations of misconduct

A recent Rolling Stone article alleged that F. Murray Abraham was fired from the Apple TV+ comedy series Mythic Quest last year because of sexual misconduct allegations made against him.  At least two concerns were raised about Abraham’s behavior, with the first incident resulting in Abraham being given a warning and told to keep away from some of the show’s actresses, according to a production source. After a second alleged incident was brought to creator and star Rob McElhenney’s attention, Abraham was let go ahead of Season 3.

Now the 83-year-old actor is apologizing publicly for what happened. Abraham shared in a statement: “This is a sincere and deeply felt apology. Though never my intention to offend anyone, I told jokes, nothing more, that upset some of my colleagues and as a result lost a great job with wonderful people. I have grown in my understanding from this experience, and I hope they will forgive me.”  

Lionsgate Television, which produces “Mythic Quest,” previously said in a statement: “We take allegations of misconduct seriously and investigate them thoroughly. As a matter of corporate policy, we do not comment on personnel actions.”  Additionally, none of the stars of “Mythic Quest” have publicly commented on the misconduct report at the time of this publishing.

Abraham portrayed C.W. Longbottom in Mythic Quest, an award-winning fantasy author who works as a head game writer for the show’s namesake video game. Abraham’s exit was addressed in the Season 3 premiere with Longbottom, diagnosed with a terminal illness, scripting his own ending by driving off a cliff into the Grand Canyon and having his remains launched into space. McElhenney told Variety last year: “It’s a bummer to not have Murray in this season. But we recognize that C.W. is a beloved character and obviously a huge part of the show. So, we made sure that we have a really fitting tribute to him.”

Editorial credit: lev radin / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

Two teen brothers arrested in Alabama Sweet 16 birthday party shooting

Authorities announced on Wednesday that two teenage brothers were arrested in connection with a shooting that left four people dead and 32 injured at a weekend ‘Sweet 16’ party in Alabama.

Alabama Law Enforcment Agency Sgt. Jeremy Burkett said that the boys – 16-year-old Travis McCullough and 17-year-old Ty Reik McCullough from Tuskegee, — were taken into custody on charges of reckless murder on Tuesday night. and will be charged as adults.  Sgt. Burkett said during a press conference Wednesday: “There is a tremendous amount of work to do. We’re going to be careful with everything we say and everything we do. We’re going to stay focused on the victims and their families. “

Gunfire erupted at 10:34 p.m. Saturday at a dance studio on Broadnax Street in Dadeville where friends and family were celebrating the birthday of a 16-year-old girl. The four people killed were identified by police as Shaunkivia Smith, 17; Marsiah Collins, 19; Corbin Holston, 23; and Philstavious Dowdell, 18. Dadeville is about 25 miles northwest of Auburn University. Four people remained hospitalized and listed in critical condition on Wednesday.

Prosecutors and police revealed few details on the arrest, such as the weapons used or possible motive for the attack.  Police said they’re at the early stages of the probe and are still in great need of the public’s help, especially from party guests who have yet to speak to investigators. Sgt. Burkett said: “We need you to come forward for the families, for these victims.” Dadeville Police Chief Jonathan Floyd also asked for the public’s help and patience with the investigation: “If we hurry, if we’re careless and we do make an arrest but it doesn’t result in a conviction, it does not result in ultimate justice for our victims, then we’ve failed our victims. Please be patient, please be understanding.”

Editorial credit: Kristi Blokhin / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

Family of Tyre Nichols files $550M civil lawsuit against city of Memphis over death by police

The family of Tyre Nichols has filed a civil lawsuit Wednesday against the city of Memphis, the police department and several individuals over his death at the hands of police officers

The attorney for the family, Ben Crump, said the lawsuit is seeking $550 million for the “torture” of Nichols, 29, who died three days after he was beaten by police during a Jan. 7 traffic stop. Body camera footage of the altercation showed officers striking Nichols repeatedly. Crump said during a press briefing Wednesday outside the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office in Memphis: “This landmark lawsuit is not only to get the justice for Tyre Nichols in the civil courts, but it is also a message that is being sent to cities all across America who have these police oppression units that have been given the license by city leaders to go and terrorize Black and brown communities.”

The suit was filed by Nichol’s mother RowVaughn Wells and the Tyre Nichols estate. The 139-page, 25-count civil complaint includes allegations of excessive force and “deliberate indifference to serious medical needs,” and called the traffic stop “unreasonable.” It also claims the police department failed to properly train its officers, including those in the now-deactivated SCORPION unit that was involved in Nichols’ arrest: “The City of Memphis, through the Memphis Police Department, maintained a custom of tolerance for SCORPION Officers’ unreasonable search and seizure of individuals, use of excessive force, and the violation of the Fourth Amendment prior to the violation of Tyre Nichols’ constitutional rights and death.”

The lawsuit names the city of Memphis, Police Chief Cerelyn Davis, individual police officers, and three Memphis Fire Department employees. It Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn Davis and the five now-former officers charged in connection with Nichols’ death — Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Desmond Mills Jr., Emmitt Martin III and Justin Smith — are among the defendants named in the lawsuit. Preston Hemphill, a police officer who was fired but not charged, is also named in the lawsuit. In addition, emergency medical technicians Robert Long and JaMichael Sandridge, Memphis Fire Lt. Michelle Whitaker, who was also in the first ambulance to arrive, and DeWayne Smith, who was a police lieutenant who retired before he could be fired, were also named in the suit.

Editorial credit: Christopher V Jones / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Pete Davidson returning to “Saturday Night Live” as host

A year after leaving the cast of Saturday Night Live, actor-comedian Pete Davidson will return to Studio 8H on May 6th to host the show for the first time. The long-running NBC sketch series tweeted the news, alongside the announcement that Lil Uzi Vert will be the night’s musical guest.

Davidson first joined SNL in 2014 as a featured co-star, eventually becoming a full-time regular on the show.  At 20 years old, he was also the youngest cast member ever to be on the show since its premiere in 1975.  Davidson appeared on SNL for eight seasons until his departure in 2022, when he shared a lengthy goodbye message on Instagram saying “I owe Lorne Michaels and everyone at ‘SNL’ my life. I’m so grateful and I wouldn’t be here without them. I appreciate you guys always having my back and sticking up for me even when that wasn’t the popular opinion. Thank you for always believing in me and sticking by my side even when it seemed comical. Thank you for teaching me life values, how to grow up and for giving me memories that will last a lifetime.”

In addition to his return to SNL, Davidson’s semi-autobiographical comedy series ‘Bupkis’ is set to debut on Peacock on May 4. Davidson co-wrote and executive produces the show, which also stars Edie Falco and Joe Pesci.

Editorial credit: Ga Fullner / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

‘The Idol’ starring The Weeknd and Lily-Rose Depp to premiere on HBO in June

HBO has shared a new teaser for the drama series ‘The Idol’, and announced it’s premiere date – June 4th.

The Idol, from Abel “The Weeknd” Tesfaye, Reza Fahim and ‘Euphoria’ creator Sam Levinson, follows Jocelyn (Lily-Rose Depp), an aspiring pop star who meets and falls for Tedros (The Weeknd), a self-help guru and the leader of a modern-day cult. An official series synopsis reads: “After a nervous breakdown derailed Jocelyn’s (Depp) last tour, she’s determined to claim her rightful status as the greatest and sexiest pop star in America. Her passions are reignited by Tedros (The Weeknd), a nightclub impresario with a sordid past. Will her romantic awakening take her to glorious new heights or the deepest and darkest depths of her soul?”

The Idol also stars Troye Sivan, Dan Levy, Da’Vine Joy Randolph, Eli Roth, Hari Nef, Jane Adams, and Jennie from BLACKPINK. The show will have its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in May.

Take a look at the teaser trailer for The Idolhere.

Editorial credit: DFree / Shutterstock.com